How deep are recessed shelves?
Standard wall recesses only measure 3 ½ inches, the depth of the wall studs — not deep enough for even the smallest standard trade paperbacks, at 5 ½ inches wide.
How do I put recessed shelves in my wall?
Table of Contents
- Step 1: Cut Into the Drywall.
- Step 2: Complete the Drywall Hole.
- Step 3: Cut the Plywood to Make the Shelving Unit.
- Step 4: Build the Shelving Unit.
- Step 5: Finish or Paint.
- Step 6: Brace the Drywall or Studs.
- Step 7: Install the Unit.
How deep should a niche be?
The typical depth of a shower niche is 3.5 inches, the width of a wood stud. In a high rise building, the steel studs may be 2.5 inches deep and this should be considered. This is still wide enough for most bottles. Niches should not be against outside walls if possible in cold weather climates.
How do you enclose open shelves?
Hang a Picture With Access To The Books
- A picture can cover parts of the shelf that you don’t want to display.
- The picture easily swings open.
- Paint baskets to match the shelving color.
- Vases look good and can be used for storage.
- A pull down picture hides what is behind it.
How deep should floating shelves in kitchen be?
If you are floating kitchen shelves, 12″ usually works since most cabinets and the plates, cups, and bowls they house, are 12″ or less deep. Second lesson, pick a bracket that can handle the dimensions of your project.
Do shelves need to go into studs?
As a general rule, it’s always ideal to install shelf brackets into wall studs. However, it can be difficult to install brackets directly on a wall stud In that case, we recommend using a toggle anchor (which are available for purchase here).